I love the guys at LDN Muscle, they’re mad about their training and understand what it takes to get results. I have been following them for a while, and have been begging to get hold of their trademark session – CHEST SUNDAY. They have finally given in, after i have fuelled their love of caffeine pre training, with my Angry Squirrel Coffee range, (www.angrysquirrelcoffee.com) You can download the whole article and use it on your iPhone in the gym or read it on here. Enjoy, and be warned, your muscles will be sore.
Warm up (NOT optional!)
- This is the most important part of your workout. Do not be tempted to try and cut corners!
- 2-5 min light cardio. Choice is yours (row/run/bike). Light pace, take it easy and get the
blood flowing around your body.
- Resistance band work (A.C joint/Rotator Cuff warm up). Repeat 2 Sets of each exercise
ensuring you perform it both slowly and controlled- aim for a minimum of 10 reps each time.
- Press-ups starting on your knees and build into full press-ups. 10reps on knees+10 full.
- Reduced weight set on each of the following exercises as a brief warm before beginning the heavy set. The reduced weight set should consist of a really nice light weight and roughly 10
Please note the warm up reduced weight set does not count as a set!
Chest Sunday Main Set
Welcome to another ChestSunday, for those who completed last weeks Giant Set themed workout we hope you have fully recovered! This week we have a mixture of standalone exercises and Supersets alongside another dreaded Giant Set- remember that variety is the spice of life!
As always, familiarise yourself with the whole workout before you begin, and before each exercise make sure you have got everything setup. The intensity needs to be maintained and frantically scrabbling to see what to do next in the middle of a Superset or Giant Set detracts from its effectiveness.
Exercise 1 – Decline Bench Press (HEAVY)
- Set the Bench Press in a decline position (head lower than legs).
- Select a weight (heavy), which you would struggle to achieve 6xReps (still maintaining good
- Carry out 6 x reps
- Ensure you control the eccentric phase of the movement, aiming for a 3 second downward
- *Ensure that you DO NOT lock out your elbows at the top of any reps – this will keep the
tension through your chest. And NO bouncing at the base of the repetition. Controlled
- Repeat for 4xSets allowing a 60-75 Second rest interval between each.
Exercise 2 – Decline Dumbbell Press to Decline Barbell Pullover (Superset)
*Make sure you have set up both the decline dumbbell apparatus AND the decline barbell pullover equipment prior to beginning this set. It is a superset with NO rest between exercises!
- Place the free bench in the decline position.
- Choose an appropriate weight that allows you to achieve 8xreps (maintaining form).
- Carry out your 8xreps.
- Ensure your form is impeccable avoid arching your back and ensure a full range of
movement with, that means lowering the dumbbells until your arms reach a 90 degree
- Again ensuring you do NOT lock your elbows out at the top of your rep. Aim to control the
eccentric movement (lowering phase) for a count of 3 and a count of 1 on the concentric (upwards phase).
THEN IMMEDIATELY AFTER WITH NO REST PROCEED TO SUPERSET WITH DECLINE DUMBBELL PULLOVERS;
• Again use the free bench in a decline position.
- Take a barbell (firstly with no weight- to get used to the movement).
- Lay back on the bench and in a slow and controlled manner, keeping your arms straight, and
taking a wide grip, lower the bar back as far as you can. Aiming for a 4 second eccentric
- Ensure you keep your back flat at all times, and avoid arching or hunching your back
- Return the bar in a more explosive manner, aiming for a 2 second concentric movement.
- You should be using a weight (after the first set with no weight on) that allows you to
perform 10 reps.
REPEAT THIS SUPERSET FOR 4X SETS. ALLOWING A MAXIMUM REST PERIOD BETWEEN SETS OF 75- 90 SECONDS
Exercise 3 – GIANT SET
Again as with the superset above ensure you have all the equipment you need for the Gaint Set ready before you begin.
Giant Exercise 1 – Incline Bench Press (30 Degree)
- Set up the Bench Press with the bench at a 30 degree incline.
- Select a weight which enables 6 reps (heavy-but ensuring good form)
- With each repetition make sure the bar reaches your chest, aim for a count of 3 seconds as
the bar comes down to meet your chest, and 1 second as you return it to its starting position.
• As always NO arching/hunching your back or for that matter any other variants!
THEN STRAIGHT AFTER WITH NO REST PROCEED TO GIANT EXERCISE 2
Giant Exercise 2- Incline Flys (30degree incline)
- Set the free bench to a 30 degree incline.
- Select a dumbbell(s) which enables 8 reps
- Aim to have your wrists wider than your elbows (as per photo).
- Control the fly on the way down, again a 3second eccentric movement, pause at the base of
the movement for a count of 2seconds, then in an explosive manner return to the starting position. DO NOT ALLOW the dumbbells to hit one another/rest on one another at the starting point- this is a REST and is CHEATING!
- As always NO arching/hunching your back or for that matter any other variants.
THEN STRAIGHT AFTER WITH NO REST PROCEED TO GIANT EXERCISE 3
Giant Exercise 3- Extreme Incline Pressups
- Raise your legs onto a suitable piece of equipment that allows your feet to be considerably higher than your head.
- Perform the pressups ensuring your back remains flat throughout the movement. Aiming for a full range of movement- if possible making sure your chest hits the floor with each rep.
- Again a 3second eccentric movement, then in an explosive manner return to the starting position.
- Aim for a 10 reps/failure which ever comes first.
THEN STRAIGHT AFTER WITH NO REST PROCEED TO GIANT EXERCISE 4
Giant Exercise 4- Standard Pressups
- This is the last exercise of the Giant Set make sure you GO FOR IT!
- It is NOT a pressup if your chest doesn’t hit the floor guys and girls. So no excuses give it
everything you have.
- Here its explosive from start to finish, its time to unleash beastmode.
- As many pressups as you can do until FAILURE. And when you do fail, go on to your knees
until you physically cant do anymore- and we mean COMPLETE FAILURE!
- Make sure that your back remains flat throughout the movement.
REPEAT 3X GIANT SETS, ALLOWING A 90-120 SECOND REST BETWEEN EACH GIANT SET.
- Ensure you warm down for a minimum of 5mins. Making sure you stretch appropriately as this will ensure you preserve your flexibility and range of motion. This was a gruelling set, and well done for making it to the end!